µTorrent (uTorrent) bt.transp_disposition Values Explained
|8 October 2009||Posted by whiztech under Uncategorized|
µTP (uTP) or micro Transport Protocol is a protocol used by bittorrent client. This protocol aims to reduce latency and maximize bandwidth when the latency is not excessive. While normal bittorrent traffic uses Transmission Control Protocol (TCP) to transfer data, bittorrent client that supports uTP is able to transfer data between clients using User Datagram Protocol (UDP). uTP is supposed to improve bittorrent traffic (uTP can possibly avoid traffic shaping) and you should see improvements in your bittorrent download/upload speed when most of the peers use uTP. So far uTP is used by uTorrent and official bittorrent client.
The bt.transp_disposition value will let you control how uTorrent uses normal TCP or uTP for data transportation. The bt.transp_disposition value is interpreted as a bit field and you probably need to learn binary to understand it. As this post is written, the latest uTorrent 2.0 beta build 16666 accepts these values:
- 1 – allows uTorrent to attempt outgoing TCP connections
- 2 – allows uTorrent to attempt outgoing uTP connections
- 4 – allows uTorrent to accept incoming TCP connections
- 8 – allows uTorrent to accept incoming uTP connections
- 16 – tells uTorrent to use the new uTP header. This is an improved communication header, but is not backwards compatible with clients that do not understand it.
Basically, these values can be added together in order to enable the options. Examples of bt.transp_disposition values combinations:
- 31 (16 + 8 + 4 + 2 + 1) = enables all the options above
- 15 (1 + 2 + 4 + 8) = uTorrent will attempt both TCP and uTP for outgoing connections, and accepts TCP and uTP incoming connections
- 10 (2 + 8) = uTorrent will only attempt to create uTP outgoing connections and only accepts uTP incoming connection
- 5 (1 + 4) = uTorrent will only use TCP for outgoing connections and when accepting incoming conncetions
The default bt.transp_disposition value for uTorrent 2.0 beta is 15. Setting bt.transp_disposition value to 255 will guarantee to enable all options including future options. bt.transp_disposition can be accessed by navigating to uTorrent’s ‘Options’ menu > ‘Preferences’ > ‘Advanced’.
[Download: uTorrent help file]