How to Download Latest TV Shows Automatically Using uTorrent
|28 November 2009||Posted by whiztech under Uncategorized|
While you can manually visit a bittorrent site to download the latest episode of a TV show, modern bittorrent client with built-in RSS feed reader allows you to automate the download process of your favourite TV shows as soon as the latest episode is available. In this post, you will find the step by step guide on how to automatically download the latest episodes of TV shows as soon as they are available on bittorrent network using uTorrent.
Note: Downloading TV shows can be illegal in some countries. If so, consider moving to another country, download share friendly shows only, or collect the torrents just for fun. Make sure you’ve checked before you proceed.
One of the best bittorrent sources to download TV shows is EZTV. RSS feed for TV shows available on EZTV is available at EZRSS. This guide should works with latest uTorrent. The uTorrent version that I use in this guide is uTorrent 2.0 beta.
1. First of all, you will need to find the RSS feed for the TV show that you want to download. In this guide, I will take ‘Top Gear’ as the example. To find the RSS feed for ‘Top Gear’, go to EZRSS website and look for ‘Top Gear’  in the shows list. Click on ‘Top Gear’ and you will be redirected to the ‘Top Gear’ episode list.
2. Next, we will add the RSS feed URL for ‘Top Gear’ in uTorrent. Right click on ‘Search-based RSS Feed’  and choose ‘Copy Link Address’ (Opera or Chrome) / ‘Copy Link Location’ (Firefox) to copy the RSS feed URL for ‘Top Gear’. Open uTorrent and go to ‘File’ > ‘Add RSS Feed…’ . Paste the RSS feed URL that you’ve copied before in ‘Feed URL’ field . Tick ‘Custom Alias’  and give the RSS feed a meaningful name , for example ‘Top Gear’. Select ‘Do not automatically download all items’  because we are going to use the filter system. Click ‘OK’  to add the RSS feed for ‘Top Gear’ .
3. We will now configure the filter system to choose which type of release to be downloaded. Go to ‘Options’ > ‘RSS Downloader’ . Click ‘Add’  to add a new filter. Name it with a meaningful name . Usually, there are 2 types of release in EZTV, the normal XviD quality release and the high quality x264 release. On EZRSS feed, a high quality x264 release is tagged with ‘720p’.
To set the filter system to download the normal XviD quality release and skip downloading the high quality x264 release, enter ‘*’ in ‘Filter’  field, and put ‘*720*’ in ‘Not’  field.
If you want to download only the high quality x264 release, set the ‘Filter’ [13.1] field to ‘*720*’ and don’t put anything in the ‘Not’ [14.1] field.
To download both normal XviD and high quality x264 release, set ‘Filter’ [13.2] field to ‘*’ and don’t put anything in ‘Not’ [14.2] field.
Choose the download folder for the TV episode . If you set this field blank, uTorrent will use the default download folder. Select the TV show RSS feed  that you add from step 2. Select ‘Give download highest priority’  if you want uTorrent to put the download from RSS feed to the top of the queue. Give a meaningful label name for the download job for this filter . Leave other settings to the default value. The setting will automatically be saved. Press ‘Close’.
4. We will now make uTorrent to remember that it has downloaded the old episodes from the RSS feed so when a new episode is available, uTorrent will only download the new episode. Right click on the RSS feed and choose ‘Update Feed…’ . This will make uTorrent download all episode from the RSS feed that matched the filter you set before, including the old episodes. You may receive ‘Not enough disk space’ warning from uTorrent but you can just ignore it. You probably already have all of these episodes, so you can delete them. Click on the label for the RSS feed , click on any of the listed download , press CTRL+A on your keyboard to select all downloads. Right click and go to ‘Remove And’ > ‘Delete .torrent + Data’ . Empty your Recycle Bin.
5. Your uTorrent will automatically download the latest episode when it is available from the RSS feed. If you want to add other TV shows, just repeat step 1 to 4.