Mass Renaming Files/Rename Multiple Files
|6 May 2008||Posted by whiztech under Uncategorized|
Mass renaming multiple files is now easy to be done! There is a great free tool that will help and assist you to rename a lot of files in an easy and simple way. This tool will help you to mass rename your mp3 collections, change the files extensions
What is Bulk Rename Utility?
Bulk Rename Utility is a simple utility which allows you to rename multiple files and folders, based upon flexible criteria. For example, you can add a prefix or suffix to a file, or you can change three letters with four other letters in a filename. There are lots of ways to manipulate file and folder names.
Features of Bulk Rename Ulitity features:
- Select files and/or folders
- Files and/or Folders
- Full support for Perl-5 Regular Expressions
- Change the file name, or use a fixed filename
- Convert the extension to lower case, upper case, title case – or replace it – or add a secondary extension – or remove it – or leave it alone!
- Replace text with other text
- Add a fixed prefix or suffix
- Add text to the middle of a name
- Move text to the start/end/middle of a name
- Remove the first n characters
- Remove the last n characters
- Remove from the nth character to the nth character
- Remove a list of characters
- Remove all digits, characters or symbols
- Remove double-spaces
- Crop text before or after a fixed character or text (or from anywhere in a name using a wildcard)
- Change to upper case, lower case, title case, sentence case – all with user-defined exceptions
- Auto-number files, with a prefix or suffix, and with a predefined minimum-length if required.
- Prefix or suffix the filename with various dates (date-modified, accessed, created, or today’s date), in many different formats with variable separators
- Append the folder name to the file (with multiple levels)
- Copy or move the renamed files to a new location
- Set or clear attributes on the files (not folders)
- Rename files according to a delimited list.
- Access the Shell Context Menu for all files/folders
- Process folders and sub-folders very quickly.
- Change a file or folder’s Created, Modified and Accessed timestamps (not folders in Windows 98)
- Convert Roman Numerals to upper or lower case
- Log all activity to a text-file
- Create an UNDO batch file.
- Extract certain EXIF tags from JPEG, TIFF, .NEF, .CR2 and and .CRW files
- Extract certain ID3 tags (V1 and V1.1) from MP3 files
- Drag files directly from within Windows Explorer
Bulk Rename Ulitity can also let you to enable the option to mass rename the file extension of the files. The powerful part of Bulk Rename Utility is it supports the use or regular expression to rename files. This allows you to enter a flexible Match expression, and a flexible Replacement expression, and the program will generate the appropriate name using these expressions. For example, you can use RegExp strings to swap two words in a filename, or remove numbers, or apply fixed formatting.
With Bulk Rename Utility, it is possible to rename files according to a text-file. The text file should contain a list of “old name” and “new name” pairs, separated by a pipe symbol ( | ).
To use this facility, create a text file in for the correct format, for example:
As you see, there is one entry per line.
Next, click the Import Rename-Pairs option on the File menu and load your file. If the file is valid then you will see the “new name” column reflecting the contents of the text file.
When comparing the current filename with the text file the application ignores the case of the filename, e.g. it will happily match Track001.mp3 and TRACK001.mp3. This makes it easy to rename the files.